Losing your pet can be a frightening experience. We’re here to help.
- Search Lost Pets in the Shelter
Use our database to see which animals have been brought in stray. We hold found stray animals for a minimum of five business days. After that, they’re considered a candidate for adoption.
- Fill out a Lost and Found Report
Fill out the form and attach the completed report and a photo to an email to email@example.com. We’ll cross check the report sent with what we have on file. Reports are held for one month, unless we’re notified otherwise.
- Post flyers in your neighborhood
Need help? Generate a flyer (not affiliated with Marin Humane).
- Get the word out on social media
Use Facebook, NextDoor, and Craigslist to notify the public that your pet is missing.
- Come to Marin Humane in person as soon as possible. Unidentified stray animals are held a minimum of five working days before they’re considered as a candidate for adoption. Identified stray animals are held a minimum of eight business days before being considered as a candidate for adoption. We can help you file a lost report and you can look through our Lost & Found books, updated daily.
- Check neighboring animal shelters, canvass your neighborhood, tell your friends, neighbors, mail carriers, etc. that your pet is missing and post lost pet notices around your neighborhood.
- Check out these tips for finding a lost or missing pet from CatsInTheBag.org or Missing Pet Partnership.
If you find a lost pet
- Call us immediately at 415.883.4621 to report the found animal.
- As soon as possible, please bring the animal to our shelter in Novato or your local animal shelter. We’ll scan the animal for a microchip and you can file a found animal report. If you want, you can leave the pet with us.
- If you’re willing, please post found animal posters in the area, and notices on sites like NextDoor or Craigslist.