Losing your pet can be a frightening experience. We’re here to help.
- Search Lost Pets in the Shelter
Use our database to see which animals have been brought in stray. We hold found stray animals for a minimum of five business days. After that, they’re considered a candidate for adoption.
- Fill out a Lost and Found Report
Email the report and attach a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll cross check the report sent with what we have on file. Reports are held for one month, unless we’re notified otherwise.
- Post flyers in your neighborhood
Get a template now: Lost Dog | Lost Cat
- Get the word out on social media
Use Facebook, NextDoor, and Craigslist to notify the public that your pet is missing.
- Come to Marin Humane in person as soon as possible. Unidentified stray animals are held a minimum of five working days before they’re considered as a candidate for adoption. Identified stray animals are held a minimum of eight business days before being considered as a candidate for adoption. We can help you file a lost report and you can look through our Lost & Found books, updated daily.
- Check neighboring animal shelters, canvass your neighborhood, tell your friends, neighbors, mail carriers, etc. that your pet is missing and post lost pet notices around your neighborhood.
- Check out these tips for finding a lost or missing pet from CatsInTheBag.org or Missing Pet Partnership.
If you find a lost pet
- Call us immediately at 415.883.4621 to report the found animal.
- As soon as possible, please bring the animal to our shelter in Novato or your local animal shelter. We’ll scan the animal for a microchip and you can file a found animal report. If you want, you can leave the pet with us.
- If you’re willing, please post found animal posters in the area, and notices on sites like NextDoor or Craigslist.
Lost pet database
Use our lost pet database to search for found animals that are currently under our care. Please note that these do not represent all found animals so if you do not see your animal here, please still contact us.