Keep your dog’s paw on the right side of the law… get them licensed.
Oops, online dog licensing is currently unavailable. To license your dog you can:
Come to the shelter! We love visitors. Be sure to bring your dog’s rabies certificate, and if applicable the spay/neuter documentation.
Snail Mail: Download a Dog License Application to send in with proof of your dog’s rabies vaccination. Please mail to: Marin Humane, Attn: Licensing, 171 Bel Marin Keys Blvd., Novato, CA 94949
If you have questions, please call us: 415.883.4621
In addition to Marin Humane’s role as non-profit animal shelter, we’re responsible for the enforcement of county and municipal animal services ordinances (including licensing) through a Joint Powers Agreement contract with the County of Marin.
A dog license is required by law for all dogs over the age of four months who live in Marin County. For more information about licensing your dog, updating your record, address changes, or notification of deceased pets, call 415.506.6220.
Why is it important to get your dog licensed?
- Licensing your dog IS THE LAW in Marin County per County Ordinance No 8.04.030.
- If your dog gets lost, a license tag on your dog’s collar is the fastest way to reunite you and your dog. Even if your dog is microchipped, a license tag is immediately visible and doesn’t require a scanning device to read.
- A current license lets people know that your dog has received the required vaccination to protect your dog from rabies.
- The fee you pay for your dog’s license or license renewal helps support the animal shelter.
- Your dog’s license shows that you are a responsible guardian.
Has your veterinarian requested that your dog be exempt from receiving the rabies vaccination? If so, please download and have your veterinarian complete the Rabies Exemption Form when submitting your dog license application. Exemption letters are only good for one year.
A $50 late fee is imposed by the county for late renewal of your dog’s license. In order to purchase a license, you must have a current rabies vaccination certificate for your dog.
Fees below are effective Monday, October 1, 2012
|Altered Dog||1 year
|Unaltered Dog||1 year
|Senior/Disabled Owner with Altered Dog*Senior is 62 years or older||1 year
|Senior/Disabled Owner with Unaltered Dog*Senior is 62 years or older||1 year