Looking for some answers? Please review our updated most frequently asked questions regarding the shelter animals, adoptions, fostering, and other services.
(Last updated 6/1/20)
Dear Marin Humane Community,
In light of this global crisis, we’re taking steps to keep our staff, volunteers, community, and the animals safe. We deeply appreciate your support and want to assure you that the animals in our care and the people who rely on our services remain our top priority.
- Our Novato campus is currently closed to the public. Due to the shelter-in-place order, we will work online or by phone as much as possible.
- Kitty Corner is currently closed to the public. All feline residents were moved to the Novato shelter where they’ll be cared for.
- Adoptions: To continue doing our part to flatten the curve, Marin Humane is offering modified adoptions on a case-by-case basis. If you’re interested in adopting a specific animal, please contact us by phone or email so we can learn a bit more about you and make sure the animal is a good fit for your family. After that, we’ll work with you by phone or email to complete the process, including payment for the adoption fee. When you pick up your new family member, we’ll ask you to follow specific safety protocols to minimize your interactions with our staff. We ask that you follow these carefully, for your safety and for that of our staff. Please contact us by 415.506.6225 or email (please always include your phone number). You may also view pets available for private rehoming.
- Behavior & Training: Although we aren’t currently offering on-campus classes, we are here to help you virtually! Check out our online cat workshops or learn more about consultations. Have a new puppy? Attend the Puppy Q&A Workshop. And if you have any questions regarding behavior and training for your dog, we are offering 15-minute free phone consultations to point you in the right direction. Please leave a message at 415.506.6280 or email email@example.com and we will connect you with someone who can help.
- Public Spay/Neuter surgeries for privately-owned animals have been cancelled.
- Animal Services will provide limited services:
- Any Marin County resident wanting to surrender their animal will be asked to wait, if possible. Please call ahead and discuss your situation.
- Please call us or use our website to report complaints or concerns about animals.
- You can request or renew dog licenses online. Anyone unable to renew their dog’s license due to the inability to get their dog vaccinated will not be penalized for the next six weeks.
- We will respond to emergency and priority calls. These include sick or injured animals, animals in distress, and aggressive dogs running at large.
- Our Thrift Shop is currently closed to the public. Please do not leave donations outside the store.
- Humane Education and other Community Engagement activities are cancelled.
- Pet Safety Net and Pet Care Assistance clients and their pets will continue to receive food, supplies, and support. Orders will be filled by staff and volunteers to be delivered to the doorsteps of the clients.
- Volunteer orientations are cancelled until further notice. At this time, we are unable to welcome new volunteers however please check our website for updates. Volunteers scheduled to participate in cancelled activities will be notified.
And lastly, our Humane Education team has compiled some kid-friendly activities during the shelter-in-place order you might be interested in.